Monday, June 13, 2011

The Mask

While the chemo continued to course through me, it was time to prepare for round 2: radiation. The thoughts on my radiation treatment had evolved as the summer progressed. At first, the doctor was leaning toward one massive dose. But the more he read and learned about pineal tumors, it seemed as if a lower dose on a more consistent basis would be the best course of treatment. I'd go three days a week for thirty minutes for roughly 9 weeks.

The first step was to get me fitted for a mask. The purpose of the mask was to make sure my head was held in precise place during the treatments. Though the radiation can be programmed with precision -- they could trim the eyelashes on a gnat -- it was crucial that my head stay in a stable position while I was getting zapped or else I'd wind up shitting my pants whenever I heard a doorbell. Being a fan of Halloween, I agreed.

So, the mask. I laid on a table similar to the ones I laid on for an MRI. The attendant told me to get comfortable. "In a few minutes, another nurse will come out with the mask, which will be form-fitted to your face," she said. "I just want you to know that the mask will be extremely hot." I gave her a look. "It won't burn you, but the plastic is very hot."

She went on a bit, throwing in another couple "very hots" in there for good measure. Then, out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone emerge from a side door with what looked like a droopy white towel. They were walking towards me, and fast.

"Okay, here's the mask," she said. "And remember, it's hot."

I know. I know it's fucking hot. You told me ten times, lady.

The attendant was about a foot away.

I grimaced a little, expecting to feel roaring hot plastic coating my face.

"Okay, here we go. Stay still."

Ohshitohshitohshitohshit.

It felt like a warm towel.

I was glad it didn't burn me, but in a way I felt cheated. I mean, here I was, expecting to get burned and it was nothing. I probably looked like Han Solo, mouth open and encased in Carbonite. How many masks looked like that, I wondered.

No comments:

Post a Comment