Friday, June 24, 2011

Dave Matthews Can Go Fuck Himself

I was a little nervous on my first day of radiation treatment. I'd tried to find some answers on the Internet so I'd have a sense of what to expect but like chemo, the answers varied wildly. I had the ultimate trust in my doctor, but I was still a little anxious. I'd be doing this for a while. Would I get sick like some people? Would I get headaches? Would I be exhausted?

They ushered me into the room I'd be visiting every day for the next couple months. It was a dimly-lit room with a large machine in the center. It had a raised platform I'd be laying on, and a huge arm with a camera-looking thing at the end that reminded me a little of the X-ray machine at the dentist's office.

Here's how it would work: I'd lay down on the platform and they'd affix the mask by literally screwing it down to the table. That'd ensure that the right area would get treatment every time. I'd lay there incredibly still for the 10-15 minutes it'd take for the scanner to do its thing and that would be it.

Sounded easy enough. I got on the table and got comfortable. They screwed the mask to the table and told me not to move. Fine. Then, the nurse asked me if I wanted to listen to any music. I can take just about anything for a short period of time with the exception of Indian. "How's Dave Matthews?"

"Fine," I said. At that point I was still nervous and just wanted to get it over with.

I've never been all that fond of Dave Matthews. There's the country fiddle hoedown violin thing, the hippie/frat boy fans, but most of all, it's that yodeling yelp of his that sends shivers down my spine. It's what they play when you call Hell and you're put on hold. I'm sure the guy's totally cool and would be fun to hang out and drink a beer with, but that yodel. That yodel.

So the music starts and Dave's yodeling away. "Ants Marching." Here come the violins. I'm laying there patiently waiting for the treatment to start. It isn't. Meanwhile, Dave's fiddle player is really throwing his back into it and givin' her hell. Still no activity from the radiation arm.

After about four songs I see someone approach me from the corner of my eye. "We're having some problems with the machine," she says in a soothing voice as Dave brings it on home. "Are you comfortable? We'll start in just a minute." Then she leaves.

That's when it hits me: I am literally strapped to a table and being forced to listen to Dave Matthews and there's not a goddamn thing I can do about it.

Eventually the machine gets going. I don't feel a thing as it whines and whirs around me, clicking and clacking. It helps take my mind off the yodeling that launched a thousand hacky sacks plays in the background.

Finally, it's over. I'm released from my cage and I sit up. The first thing I ask is if I can bring my own CD next time.

"Sure!"

No comments:

Post a Comment