Monday, October 3, 2011

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

One of the most irritating aspects of health care is the frequency of the surprises. Sometimes they're good (you're going to have a baby! You don't have lupus!) but more often they're bad (it's a cancerous tumor! You have gangrene!).

I don't know if it's because patients blur together and nurses and doctors forget what they've said to which patient or what, but I was continually surprised. I'd go in for an MRI only to find out it was a CT scan and that I had to drink some nasty syrup. I'd be told a test would take fifteen minutes and it'd take an hour and a half.

The latest surprise happened a full two years after my treatment had ended. I still go for occasional MRIs that are getting further and further out in terms of time, but they're still keeping an eye on me. The last time I went for my usual MRI I found out that I had a bonus test -- this one for bone density. Nobody had told me about the test, let alone that radiation and/or chemo could have an adverse effect on my bone density back when I was getting treated. They didn't tell me I was getting tested for it now, either. Thankfully, it's nothing more than a glorified X Ray, so it was painless. That, and the fact that I consume ice cream as if it's my job, ensured that my test turned out fine.

To that end, here are 10 questions you should ask your doctor. They're not hard. If he/she can't answer them, find another doctor. I don't mean to get all Star Jones on you, but really, they need to spend a little more time explaining this stuff so you're able to make an informed decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment